News 13's Charity Challenge Official Rules
Who Can Participate
1. To be eligible to participate in the promotion, participants must be a North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia or Georgia state resident who are 18 years of age or older and reside in the WLOS-TV viewing area. Nominee charities must be charitable organizations licensed to operate in the WLOS-TV viewing area and be 501(c)3 certified. Nominees cannot be an individual.
2. Employees of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., Sinclair Communications, LLC, and any other company which owns, programs or provides other services to television broadcast station WLOS-TV (the “Station), WMYA, Asheville Mulch Yard, The Douglas Group, Inc. dba UPICKEM, Ciceron, Inc., Facebook, Inc., Facebook.com, and their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any and all local television broadcast and cable stations, local radio and other media companies, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term “immediate families” includes spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children and grandchildren.
How to Enter
(a) No purchase is necessary to enter. Only one entry per URL address per month.
(b) During the Promotion Period (as defined below), viewers will be prompted to nominate local charitable organizations for the Station’s News 13 Charity Challenge. To make a nomination, log onto www.WLOS.com or facebook.com/News13. Click on the Charity Challenge link in the contest section to access the UPICKEM online nomination entry form. Complete the entry form with your name, phone number, and birth date, name of the non-profit being nominated and tell us in 100 words or less why they deserve to receive a $1,000 donation, and click submit. By entering, participants acknowledge and agree that only the charitable organization will be eligible to receive the donation. No mechanically reproduced or completed entries will be accepted.
(c) The promotion starts March 4, 2015, and ends at 11:59p.m.ET on September 30, 2015 (the “Promotion Period”). Each month during the Promotion Period, viewers will be prompted to nominate a charitable organization. Nomination periods for each month will start at 12:01 pm ET, and end at 7:59 am ET on the following dates: . March 4 - April 20, April 22 - May 18, May 20 - June 15, June 17 -–July 20, July 22 - August 17, and August 19 - September 21, 2015. Station is not responsible for late, lost or misdirected entries, printing errors, server unavailability, computer or any other electronic malfunction.
(d) All charitable organization nominees will be judged by a panel of four (4) judges based on the following criterion: on-air appeal (25%), newsworthiness (25%), need (25%), and community impact (25%). On the fourth Tuesday of each month during the Promotion Period, three (3) nominated charitable organization will be determined by the judges based on the criterion set forth above. Remaining valid nominations will carry over to the following monthly judging panel.
(e) Each charitable organization will be revealed and featured on the first three Mondays of the following month selected during News 13’s 6AM Newscast. Each month during the Promotion Period, viewers will be asked to vote for one (1) of the three (3) featured charitable organizations. Voting periods for each month will start at 8:00am ET, and end at 12:00 pm ET on the following dates: April 20 -22, May 18 - 20, June 15 - 17, July 20 - 22. August 17 - 19, and September 21-23, 2015 .Voting is limited to one vote per IP address per day. Duplicate votes will be disqualified. Facebook “Likes” are not considered votes. At the end of each monthly voting period, the Station will determine one (1) winner each month based on the charitable organization with the most valid votes, for a total of six (6) winning charitable organizations. Participants and nominee charitable organizations are prohibited from obtaining votes by offering prizes or other inducements to members of the public, vote farming, or any other activity that artificially inflates such nominee’s votes as determined by Station in its sole discretion. In the event of a tie, one (1) winner will be randomly selected from among the tied entrants.
(f) The Station reserves the right to determine in its sole and absolute discretion whether the online votes are valid, and may disqualify any duplicate votes. Multiple and/or irregular votes or multiple votes from the same user or users, including but not limited to, votes generated by a robotic, programmed, script, macro, other automated means or other source will be considered invalid.
(g) All entries received that are mutilated, tampered with, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries become the property of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc. and the Station and will not be acknowledged or returned.
1. Six (6) charitable organizations will be selected as winners. Each winner will receive one thousand dollars ($1,000).
2. The winning charitable organization will be notified by phone. Representatives of each charitable organization must sign and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must be received within 2 business days of notification. Before claiming the prize, the charitable organization must provide their correct name, address and telephone number to Station, and the ability to provide proof of their 501c3 eligibility at the time of notification. Station reserves the right to examine additional documentation and may choose to accept or deny awarding the prize based on the documentation presented.
3. If the charitable organization cannot be notified within 2 business days, does not sign and return the release and affidavit of eligibility, or does not provide a copy of its 501(c)3 certificate, then the prize will be forfeited, and the prize will be awarded to an alternate charitable organization non-profit with the next highest number of votes as determined by the Station.
4.There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for prizes except at the sole discretion of Station. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No transfer or assignment of prizes is allowed.
5.The winning charitable organization is responsible for paying all local, county, state and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules.
6. Only one prize will be awarded per non-profit organization.
7. Sinclair Communications, LLC, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. are not liable if the provider of any part of the prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
8. Sinclair Communications, LLC, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. are not responsible for any liabilities arising directly or indirectly from the award or use of the prize.
9. In claiming your prize, you acknowledge that Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc and Sinclair Communications, LLC have the right to publicize your name, character, likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that you are the winner for promotional purposes without financial remuneration.
1. Complete contest rules are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours at WLOS-TV, 110 Technology Drive Asheville, NC 28803 and at www.wlos.com.
2. For a list of winning non-profit organizations, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope to 110 Technology Drive Asheville, NC 28803 by October 31, 2015.
3. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., Sinclair Communications, LLC, The Asheville Mulch Yard, The Douglas Group, Inc. dba UPICKEM., Ciceron, Inc., Facebook, Inc., and Facebook.com accept no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded hereunder.
4. Station cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information.
5. Station reserves the right to make rules and contest changes and change the aforementioned contest dates.
6. Facebook, Inc. and www.facebook.com (collectively, “Facebook”) are not affiliated with the Station nor this contest. This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by or associated with Facebook.