Habitat Home Fire
A community built home is destroyed by fire. The Habitat for Humanity home caught fire Tuesday evening.
After six years, a mother and her young daughter are now homeless.
When you leave your house for work, you never expect it to change while you're gone, "to look at it all is a bit overwhelming."
The sight was too much for homeowner Ashley Stevenson, "dropped to my knees and cried."
The Edneyville Fire Department says it was discarded cigarettes on the front porch that started the blaze around 6pm Tuesday. The fire was extinguished before it could consume the entire home.
Ashley, "I fought so hard to keep this house and to keep everything going, and things were starting to be good."
Ashely's not only poured her heart into this home, so has her community.
Nada Shook, Henderson County Habitat Senior Business Manager, "this is a devastating loss to her, it's a devastating loss to habitat."
There have been more than 160 Habit homes built in this county, but this one was Ashely's.
"That's not really what hurts so bad, it's not the stuff, it's the feeling of defeat."
The organization that helped Ashley build her home will now help to rebuild her life, "we'll help Ashley get through this."
Ashely and her daughter weren't home at the time, but her dog June was, "a special thank you to the fire fighter who pulled my dog out of the house and saved her."
She says her dog will be okay and so will she, staying strong for her daughter.
"You just have to get back up again and keep going, it's really hard."
If you'd like to help this family, just click here.