Short Film Remembers Capt. Bowen
A seven minute video remembering what happened on July 28, 2011 in Asheville racked up 11,000 views in just one day.
Posted on Wednesday, and circulated over social media starting Thursday, the Mantooth Studios project tells the story of the fire that killed Asheville Fire Department Captain Jeff Bowen three years ago. In it, his colleagues that were there that day recount hearing Bowen's last call over the radio, finding his body in a corridor on the fifth of a burning building near mission hospital and finding out that he had died.
The production company out of San Diego, California approached the Asheville Fire Department after hearing about the tragedy, wanting to make a film to highlight the dangers of carbon monoxide.
Since the incident the Asheville Fire Department has become a role model for departments across the country on air management safety. The Department has taken on new safety measures and staff have done rigorous training to determine methods that are most effective in keeping its firefighters safe.
The key change has been in air management procedure. Now, when an oxygen tank is half empty, the firefighters begin exiting the fire using the remaining half. It's a major change, meant to ensure a safe exit from even the fifth floor of a flaming high rise.
You can view the full video here: http://www.mantoothstudios.com/videos/Captain_Bowens_Story.html