WLOS ABC13 - Search Results
Hotel Reopening Cleared
The Boone hotel where three people died of carbon monoxide poisoning has been thoroughly inspected, and cleared to reopen.
The Best Western was supposed to open Wednesday, but town inspectors said more changes needed to be made first.
Officials issued a certificate of occupancy to the hotel this afternoon and an employee says rooms may be available for rent by this weekend.
The town's planning director says the reopening will move forward even though the hotel still has no carbon monoxide detectors installed.
Bill Bailey, Boone's planning director, "I would have suspected that there would be some, but again they are not required by the code. And in my position, I'm just going to have to go by what the code requires,"
Lawmakers have since drafted a bill that would require all North Carolina hotels to install carbon monoxide detectors.
That measure has been approved by the house.
So far no one has been charged in the deaths but police say they are still wrapping-up their investigation.