Christmas Apartment Fire
A midnight fire on Christmas night left 11 adults and 8 children without their homes.
Firefighters say unit C at the Laurens Villa Apartments caught fire around 11:30pm Wednesday night. 26 firefighters in three fire trucks battled the blaze for about 3 hours.
Chantelle Marckley lives at the far end of the building that caught fire, but still lost her roof to the fire.
"I was awakened by people banging on my door but I couldn't hear them because my dog was barking," said Marckley. "I thought it was an intruder, so I called 911 and told them I had an intruder and they said 'No ma'am your apartment is on fire, get out, get out, get out your apartment is on fire!"
The Cantrells live in apartment B, next door to where the fire originated. They were visiting grandparents in Georgia when they got the call that their home was in flames. The roof crashed into where their 10-month-old daughter usually sleeps.
"I'm so glad we weren't here, because at the time the fire started, she would have been asleep in her crib," said Brittany Cantrell.
Red Cross volunteers have put many of the residents up in a local motel, and are providing much needed food and resources. To find out more about how to donate to the Red Cross, click here.