Christmas Shopping Safety Tips
Shopping goes up this time of year, but so do thefts, break-ins and shoplifting mountain officials say.
Criminals can pick out vulnerable shoppers in a crowd, and their targets are often not determined by gender or age - but by behaviors that you can control.
Here are some strategies to keep you and your family safe in and outside of stores in the runup to Christmas:
- Keep your keys in a pocket rather than inside your purse, that way even if it gets taken you will be able to get home.
- Get your keys in your hand before you leave the store, so you can get into your car quickly.
- Shop with friends or family, there is safety in numbers.
- Keep wallets or money in front pockets or inside jacket pockets, rather than in a back pocket.
- Try to shop during the daytime and on weekdays. Many Christmas crimes will happen on weekends.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry, it could make you stand out.
- Keep a record of credit cards numbers at home.
- Take bags to the car in between stores, instead of carrying them.
- When you stow items in your car, put them in the truck or out of view to passerby.
- Park under street lights when possible.
- Stay off your phone in the parking lot, stay alert and keep your hands free.