Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Fire Devastates West Asheville Family

Nancy Hipps was in tears Wednesday night as she watched fire spread through her west Asheville home.

"We've worked so hard for this," said Hipps. "And I just had open heart surgery. We have lived here twenty years and we just bought this home. It seems all we have is bad luck."

Nancy said she had just turned on a coil on her stove in her kitchen to warm up dinner.

Her daughter alerted her to a problem.

"I said Mom is the kitchen on fire? And she jumped up and went in there," said Crystal Singleton, Nancy's Mom.

The entire Hipps family got out of the house including two young grandchildren, but the kitchen has extensive fire damage and there is smoke damage throughout the house. A Santa Claus still hangs on the family's front door. The home is one block off Haywood street. 

An Asheville Fire Chief assured the family the Red Cross would have a safe place for them to sleep Wednesday night. The Chief handed Nancy a binder with pre-printed information how to build a life back after a fire.

Contact the Asheville Red Cross if you would like to help the Hipps family.

by Kimberly King

Follow Kim on Twitter @KimKingReports


 



6:00PM News 13 @ 6
6:30PM ABC World News
7:00PM Wheel of Fortune
7:30PM Jeopardy
8:00PM Grey's Anatomy
9:00PM Grey's Anatomy
10:00PM Black Box
11:00PM News 13 Tonight

Complete Schedule »