Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Wood Stove Sparks House Fire

Investigators believe a wood stove sparked a fire that burned a Haywood County family out their home.

The fire happened just before 1 a.m. Wednesday at 683 Iron Duff Road. It was brought under control in about an hour.

All six members of Brian Green's family inside escaped injury. A Clyde fireman received a minor injury to his knee. He was taken to the hospital as a precaution, but has been treated and released.

The Junaluska Fire Department believes a wood stove sparked the blaze that totaled the home.

"One of the residents there...she did see some fire come around the chimney and out of the wall that way.  So that's believed to be the cause of the fire at this point," says Assistant Chief Chad Moody.

Officials advise wood stoves to be cleaned and inspected to ensure safety.

Fire officials say there are several fire dangers this time of year. Heating with wood or portable heaters can cause fires.  The advise leaving plenty of space around them. They also say overloading Christmas lights can be dangerous if too many are plugged together into one socket or with too many extension cords.  They also advise consistent watering if you have a real Christmas tree.

The home is owned by Brian Green's father.  He says he did not have much insurance.

Contributions to help the Green family are being accepted through Antioch Baptist Church on Iron Dufff Road.

By Rex Hodge

Follow Rex on Twitter @RexHodgeWLOS

 


 


 



6:00PM News 13 at 6pm
6:30PM ABC World News Sunday
7:00PM America's Funniest Home Videos
8:00PM Wipeout
9:00PM Rising Star
10:00PM Castle
11:00PM News 13 Tonight

Complete Schedule »