Candler House Fire
In this bitter cold, the last thing you want is to be homeless. That's what happened to a Candler man today as he watched everything he owned go up in flames.
Friends say they could've put out the fire but the plunging temperatures froze the water lines and there was nothing they could do.
Ronnie Dills is a generous man who always opens his door to guys who are down on their luck.
Now Ronnie's the one who needs help, his home is a total loss and the worst part is he didn't have any insurance.
On a day others were gearing up to battle the winter freeze, Ronnie Dills was fighting to save his memories.
Ronnie, lost home, "the whole house was smoked up, we tried to go in but couldn't."
Around noon today Ronnie was in his garage helping a friend fix her car, unaware of what was happening inside his home.
Ronnie, "I went in and it was awful. All gone."
Ronnie and his friends rushed to grab the water hose but the bitter cold made it impossible.
Jason, lives with Ronnie, "I did what I could to put it out but the water hose was frozen. If the hose wasn't frozen I think we could've handled it ourselves."
Ronnie shares his small mobile home with two men, at the time, they were down on their luck.
Ronnie, "everybody has a hard time, I take 'em in and help them out."
Jason, "I was sleeping at rest areas and abandoned buildings like not too long after my motorcycle accident."
Now Ronnie's the one in need.
Jason, "I'm gonna stick around and try to help Ronnie out as much as I can, he's helped me that much."
Martin, "I just hope that all the people he's helped over the years that maybe they'll show their faces back up and maybe help him out a little bit."
Ronnie thinks the fire began in the bedroom and the wiring in an outlet may have shorted out, the fire marshal will have to determine the exact cause.
Meanwhile, the Red Cross will put Ronnie and his two friends up at a hotel for 3 nights, after that they're on their own.